Wednesday 12 October 2011

aww, poor Blackberry users...

As you know, Blackberry users are having major problems with the messaging system in Europe, Middle East, Africa and probably more areas of the world by now.  Oh, you don't know?  Ah, I see, you have a phone that works, right!  Well that's probably a good thing or you would be stuck with nothing to do and no way of contacting anyone at all...

Oh my god, why is this a big deal?  Yeah, I see the issue on the company's side - loss of messaging services means less people using it and thus loss of money as well as many phone calls of complaints over the disruption but from a user perspective, they just need to chill!

"Argh, I can't text my mate and tell him to be outside my house at 6, what am I going to do???' - what did we do about 10 years ago?  It's called a house phone, or better still, a plan you make in advance?  Even nowadays there's LOADS of other ways to communicate - Facebook, Windows Live Messenger, emails, even your games console has the ability to send a message!

I'm wondering whether we are taking technology as being our ONLY way of 'getting on with life' - to be honest, without technology I wouldn't be able to write this blog, but on the other hand I have been so focused on getting the rant up and do other 21st century stuff at home, I have turned down the opportunity to go out and be with friends... OK, so the last bit is not quite true but I do know of some people who take computers and gaming and treat it as though they HAVE to use them, whether they need to or not, essentially running their lives via 0s and 1s (binary for anyone not geeky!).

I really don't think I could last without any personal technology in my life, despite this rant, but they don't rule my life - I can go days without going on the internet or spend a couple of hours (outside of sleeping) without the need to check my phone to see what email has been sent to me (no doubt some spam, annoying stupid spam!).

I think I've made my point:

  • Blackberry users - there's more to life than wondering when your texts are going to be available.  Why not pick up the telephone or pop round to a mate's house instead?
  • Technology freaks - it might be worth every once in a while to put the consoles down, switch the computer off, even put your phone on silent, and have a night out with real people who you can have a proper chat with in person

Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment